3100 Aikens Road
Watkins Glen, NY
Tel: 607 583 2225
- Fodor's New England: with the Best Fall Foliage Drives & Scenic Road Trips (Full-color Travel Guide)
- Lonely Planet Hawaii (Travel Guide)
- California Road and Recreation Atlas (Benchmark Atlas)
- RV Camping in State Parks
- Galapagos Wildlife: A Folding Pocket Guide to Familiar Animals (Pocket Naturalist Guide Series)
Watkins Glen, NY: Stuffing turkeys, in a good way
In 1986, Farm Sanctuary—a 175-acre patch of rolling hills and woods in New York State's Finger Lakes region that provides a home for animals rescued and rehabilitated from farms and stockyards—kicked off its Adopt-a-Turkey Project, finding donors to sponsor "adopt" the birds or placing them into loving homes.
Each year before Thanksgiving, in what's become the Sanctuary's biggest event on both coasts (there's a 300-acre Northern California counterpart), you can attend the day-long Celebration For the Turkeys, where the sensitive creatures are the guests of honor, not the main dish.
In one of the most winning petting-zoo-style experiences you'll ever encounter, humans and gobblers alike gather round for a feast of pumpkin pie, cranberries, squash, you name it (as long as it's vegan).
This year's Celebration For the Turkeys takes place on November 19 and 20.