INFOFore Street Restaurant
288 Fore Street
Tel: 207 775 2717
- AMC's Best Day Hikes along the Maine Coast: Four-Season Guide to 50 of the Best Trails From the Maine Beaches to Downeast
- Best Easy Day Hikes Portland, Maine (Best Easy Day Hikes Series)
- Portland, Maine Chef's Table: Extraordinary Recipes From Casco Bay
- Portland, Maine in 3 Days (Travel Guide 2015): A 72 Hours Perfect Plan with the Best Things to Do in Portland: A Step-by-Step Plan on How to Enjoy 3 Amazing ... Days in Portland, Maine. Save Time & Money.
- Portland Food:: The Culinary Capital of Maine (American Palate)
Portland, ME: The dish that makes grown men weep
Because much of the menu at this bustling, open-plan restaurant in the Old Port District changes daily, every meal there can feel like a farewell: Goodbye, caramelized rabbit livers. You're delicious, but we can never meet again.
The wood-roasted mussels, however, are always on the menu. Possibly because there'd be riots if Fore Street owner-chef (and James Beard Award winner) Sam Hayward ever decided to remove them.
In a busy week, the restaurant cooks up more than 800 pounds of mussels from Casco Bay, roasting them in a garlicky butter sauce spiked with chiles and almonds—a little bit of Spain by way of Downeast—in the wood-fired oven.
It's a good idea to order the mussels as soon as you're seated, before you even look at the menu, lest you get distracted. (You'll need extra bread for dunking.)