- Moroccan Arabic: Shnoo the Hell is Going On H'naa? A Practical Guide to Learning Moroccan Darija - the Arabic Dialect of Morocco (2nd edition) (Educational Resources)
- Thailand,too easy: Hell's only Paradise
- Dances With Marmots - A Pacific Crest Trail Adventure
- Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River
- Antarctica: Both Heaven and Hell
Hell, Norway: It's lovely in Hell this time of year
Today is all about bragging rights: not everyone can say they've been to Hell and back, with the pictures to prove it.
This village, population 1500, has its fans (and Facebook page, of course) because, let's face it, it's irresistible to take pictures of yourself in Hell, especially in winter on the days Hell freezes over.
The railway in Hell (not Amtrak, surprisingly) has a large, curious sign on its front reading 'Gods-expedition'. Surely, with enough aquavit, you could come up with a plausible philosophical explanation of why God would want to go to Hell and would it still be Hell if God visited? Anyway, the facts are more prosaic: it's an old Norse spelling of cargo handling.
It's true that there isn't a whole lot to do in Hell, though if you visit from September 3-5 this year, Hell breaks loose with the Blues in Hell festival, disproving Shaw's contention that Hell is full of musical amateurs. In fact, you'll find good music and plenty of opportunity for more sophomoric wordplay.
For the record, the road to Hell is not paved with good intentions.