INFOLake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagogg- chaubunagungamaugg
- From The Pacific To The Atlantic: Being An Account Of A Journey Overland From Eureka, California, To Webster, Massachusetts, With A Horse, Carriage, Cow And Dog
- Guide to Gettysburg Battlefield Monuments: Find Every Monument and Tablet in the Park
- Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
- The Pirates of the New England Coast 1630-1730 (Dover Maritime)
- Wallpaper* City Guide Boston 2013
Webster, MA: Say What Now?
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaug- gagoggchaubunagungamaugg is pretty and all, but let's face it, what gets it on the map (or at least part-way on the map) is its crazy-long name.
Locals, for the most part, have given up and refer to it as Webster Lake. And there's a lot of disagreement about the long-form spelling. As for the derivation, the legend is that the name means 'You fish on your side, I fish on my side, nobody fishes in the middle.' But that was almost certainly the creative work of a local newspaper writer of almost 100 years ago.
The large lake is on the border of Massachusetts and Connecticut and there's a rocky beach, picnic tables, and a small-town vibe that's appealing. If you're making a journey out of it, though, it's surely for bragging rights. Of course, you'll want to add Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrn- drobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales to your list. And you'll definitely want to go to Hell, located in Norway.