Tel: 21 638 1355
- Top 10 Cape Town and the Winelands (EYEWITNESS TOP 10 TRAVEL GUIDE)
- The Rough Guide to Cape Town, The Winelands & The Garden Route
- Lonely Planet Cape Town & the Garden Route (City Guide)
- Cape Town South Africa Travel Guide: 3 Day Unforgettable Vacation Itinerary to Cape Town South Africa: Cape Town South Africa 3-Day Highlights Itin Travel ... Vacation Itinerary to Cape Town South Afri)
- Cape Town and Peninsula [South Africa] (National Geographic: Adventure Map)
Cape Town, South Africa: Butchery-turned-neighborhood party
How this raucous social hub came to be is a testament to entrepreneurship.
When Mzoli Ngcawuzele went into business in Gugulethu township, about 10 miles southeast of Cape Town's center, it was just a butcher shop. Pretty soon, braai stalls started popping up around it (braai is Afrikaans for barbecue, and refers not just to the grill but the whole street-food/cookout culture around it—as ubiquitous in this part of the world as hot dog carts in New York City).
So you'd purchase your meat from the counter at Mzoli's and pay one of the braai guys to grill it up on the spot. People started bringing beer and hanging out. Mzoli hired some kwaito bands to play. Today, it's something of a giant patio cookout party-cum-music fest—all grown out of a butcher shop.