Tel: 21 638 1355
- Top 10 Cape Town and the Winelands (Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide)
- Fodor's South Africa: with the Best Safari Destinations (Travel Guide)
- Lonely Planet Cape Town & the Garden Route (Travel Guide)
- Lonely Planet South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland (Travel Guide)
- South Africa: By Locals FULL COUNTRY GUIDE - A South Africa Travel Guide Written By A South African: The Best Travel Tips About Where to Go and What to ... Travel Guide, Cape Town, Johannesburg)
Cape Town, South Africa: Butchery-turned-neighborhood party
How this raucous social hub came to be is a testament to entrepreneurship.
When Mzoli Ngcawuzele went into business in Gugulethu township, about 10 miles southeast of Cape Town's center, it was just a butcher shop. Pretty soon, braai stalls started popping up around it (braai is Afrikaans for barbecue, and refers not just to the grill but the whole street-food/cookout culture around it—as ubiquitous in this part of the world as hot dog carts in New York City).
So you'd purchase your meat from the counter at Mzoli's and pay one of the braai guys to grill it up on the spot. People started bringing beer and hanging out. Mzoli hired some kwaito bands to play. Today, it's something of a giant patio cookout party-cum-music fest—all grown out of a butcher shop.