Saugerties, NY: To the lighthouse
The light keepers first illuminated the lantern of the Saugerties Lighthouse on the Hudson River in 1869. The keepers changed over the years, but not much else did until 1954, when the light became automated. The Lighthouse itself fell, predictably enough, into disrepair.
The stalwart captain's friend was recommissioned in 1990 and restored to its original condition, except for the change to a solar-powered beacon. Well, original condition, different purpose: it's now a bed and breakfast with two bedrooms and some gorgeous views of the Hudson.
Since this is not exactly conventional innkeeping, there are a few things to know in advance: the B & B is only open for guests between Thursdays and Sundays. To get there, it's a half-mile walk on an easy trail. Yes on heat in winter, no on AC in summer. There's one shared bathroom only and the toilet is a composting unit. The lighthouse island is open to the public, so don't count on daytime solitude, especially in summer. Rooms are $200 for two people a night, plus breakfast, and you need to book well in advance.
We'd round up a couple of friends, book both rooms, and soak in lighthouse living and the river views. It's a memorable stay.