INFOSeattle Art Museum
1300 First Avenue
- Fodor's Pacific Northwest: with Oregon, Washington & Vancouver (Full-color Travel Guide)
- Frommer's Seattle day by day
- Streetwise Seattle Map - Laminated City Center Street Map of Seattle, Washington - Folding pocket size travel map with monorail & streetcar lines
- 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Seattle: Including Bellevue, Everett, and Tacoma
- Lonely Planet Seattle (Travel Guide)
Seattle, WA: We'll meet you at the center of the earth
A few years back, the Seattle Art Museum downtown got a stylish makeover by Allied Works Architecture, tripled in size, and substantially enhanced its collection. Close to 1,000 works have been donated recently to the museum, with an estimated value of over $1 billion. Among the new acquisitions: Edward Hopper's "Chop Suey," Brancusi's "Bird in Space," and Mark Rothko's "Orange on Red." Nice to have generous friends.
The museum has made good use of its improved circumstances by delivering especially interesting and engaging exhibitions. Beginning March 10th, Nick Cave, of Bad Seeds fame, finds himself in a museum (or at least his suits) in an exhibition called Meet Me at the Center of the Earth. The truly eye-popping soundsuits—explosions of spinning tops, doilies, and just about anything else that isn't nailed down—get the respect they deserve from a city that's already plugged-in to street performance and mainlines hand-craftsmanship.
Seattle is always a good place to be (rainfall notwithstanding). The SAM is one more excellent case to be made for a visit.