INFOThe Musk Ox Farm
12850 E. Archie Road
- Off the Beaten Path: A Travel Guide to More Than 1000 Scenic and Interesting Places Still Uncrowded and Inviting
- Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders
- Fodor's Alaska (Full-color Travel Guide)
- Lonely Planet Alaska (Travel Guide)
- National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways, 4th Edition: The 300 Best Drives in the U.S.
Palmer, AK: Wool from the bearded ones
Qiviut, a much-loved Scrabble word, is musk ox wool, also much-loved since it's warmer than sheep's wool and softer than cashmere.
The musk ox is an incredible animal, having been stomping around since the Ice Age, but now allowing itself to be domesticated for qiviut production. Head north from Anchorage about 45 miles and you'll come to the non-profit Musk Ox Farm in Palmer where they're helping reintroduce the musk ox into the area (it had been extinct in this part of the world).
You can visit the the sixty Oomingmaks (bearded ones) at their lovely home in the Matanuska Valley, learn about the sustainable agricultural practices used there, buy a great wool hat, and most of all, spend some time in the company of these extraordinary creatures.