891 Route 1
Tel: 203 453 9276
- BISHOP'S ORCHARDS GUILFORD CONNECTICUT BROCHURE /PICK YOUR OWN /WINERY /DETAILS+
- kate spade new york: places to go, people to see
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, the second edition: Completely Revised and Updated with Over 200 New Entries
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die 2015 Page-A-Day Calendar
- 1,000 Places to See in the United States and Canada Before You Die, updated ed.
Guilford, CT: A magical clambake 90 miles from NYC
Did you know that right off 95 in Guilford, Conn., there's an alfresco clambake going every summer day and night, weather permitting? Yeah, most people don't. So they stop at another rest stop McDonald's. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
But wouldn't you rather have some seafood fresh off the grill? At The Place, open since 1971, there's no Fry-o-lator and no indoor kitchen: Just a wood fire powering the longest, most ramshackle grill this side of a state fair, on which a small army of men cooks up some of life's greatest pleasures—lobsters, clams, corn, bluefish, the odd chicken.
Grab a table (a recycled cable spool) and a seat (a tree stump), uncork whatever OB you've BYOd, and settle in. The roast clam special (Long Island Sound littlenecks drizzled in a butter-cocktail sauce concoction) goes very well with a Sauvignon Blanc at sunset.