Newquay, Cornwall, UK
- Newquay Treasure Hunt on Foot (Huntfun.Co.Uk)
- Drives of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Spectacular Trips
- DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Great Britain
- Lonely Planet Discover Great Britain (Travel Guide)
- Cornwall Coast Path, 4th: (SW Coast Path Part 2) British Walking Guide with 130 large-scale walking maps, places to stay, places to eat (British Walking Guide Cornwall Coath Path Bude to Plymouth)
Newquay, Cornwall, UK: Hang ten old chap
When you close your eyes and think of England, what comes to mind?
If you said surfing—and you didn't—it's a surprisingly reasonable answer. The North Cornwall coast is home to some lovely beaches, surfable waves, and the Watergate Bay Hotel. Originally built in 1904, it has had various careers, but it's hardly showing its age.
In fact, in 1999, the owners' son launched the Extreme Academy to create 'a ski resort on a beach.' So, yes, in jolly old England, you can go traction kiting, waveskiing, paddlesurfing, and take part in The Extreme Academy Midsummer Classic Surf Competition (this year on June 26th and 27th).
Of course, if you're not at that level, you can take surfing lessons, switch to ultimate Frisbee, play volleyball, hit one of the two pools, or get a massage instead. The hotel is kid-friendly and dog-friendly, too (dogs are allowed in many, but not all, of the rooms).
By all means see the latest production of the Royal Shakespeare Company when you're in the U.K. But bring your wetsuit, too.