Newquay, Cornwall, UK
- Newquay and Padstow (Explorer Maps)
- Lonely Planet Devon & Cornwall (Travel Guide)
- Newquay and Padstow (OS Explorer Map)
- Newquay: The best pubs, restaurants, sights and places to stay (Cool Places UK Travel Guides Book 15)
- Newquay and Padstow, Wadebridge, Port Isaac and St.Columb Major (Explorer Maps)
Newquay, Cornwall, UK: Hang ten old chap
When you close your eyes and think of England, what comes to mind?
If you said surfing—and you didn't—it's a surprisingly reasonable answer. The North Cornwall coast is home to some lovely beaches, surfable waves, and the Watergate Bay Hotel. Originally built in 1904, it has had various careers, but it's hardly showing its age.
In fact, in 1999, the owners' son launched the Extreme Academy to create 'a ski resort on a beach.' So, yes, in jolly old England, you can go traction kiting, waveskiing, paddlesurfing, and take part in The Extreme Academy Midsummer Classic Surf Competition (this year on June 26th and 27th).
Of course, if you're not at that level, you can take surfing lessons, switch to ultimate Frisbee, play volleyball, hit one of the two pools, or get a massage instead. The hotel is kid-friendly and dog-friendly, too (dogs are allowed in many, but not all, of the rooms).
By all means see the latest production of the Royal Shakespeare Company when you're in the U.K. But bring your wetsuit, too.